Known issues in the latest version (1.2.16)
Locked files - SyncFolder is not able to copy files that are in-use (locked) by another program.
If such files appear during the execution of a task, an error will be reported and the affected files will be
indicated in the Status window of the task.
If you do not want such errors to occur, you must either exclude those files from your backup (by adding the extension type of those files in the Filter section of the task) or stop any programs that keep the files locked/open prior starting the backup.
An error has been corrected which incorrectly copied older files to a target location in case of a Blind Copy task and the
target contained newer files. This error could occur when a Blind Copy task runs and the target, prior to the new backup,
was updated with newer files. This can happen for instance when the target is a OneDrive folder.
Starting with version 1.2.16 the decision to do a copy/rename is as follows:
- One-way Sync tasks: A copy takes place when any of the following attributes have changed at the source: file size, file modification time. A rename takes place (when allowed by the target) when there is a change in the name of the file with respect to upper and lower case. The principle remains that with a 1-way sync job the target must be an exact copy of the source
- Blind Copy tasks: A copy/rename takes place when any of the following have changed at the source: file size, modification
time, and change in upper/lower case of the file name, but only in case the source file is newer than the one at the target.
The user should be aware that with a target location on which files can be updated by other processes and/or devices, the task should be configured to allways scan the target and not use the default (and faster) cache. The configuration can be done by clicking "Additional job settings" at the bottom of the configuration page. In the dialog that comes up set the first toggle switch to on.
- The "Select existing jobs to execute, .." action on the home page of the app is moved to the top of the page. This makes it more convenient for users when the app runs on smaller screens.
Starting with the previous version the app carries out very strict error checking in the source and destination scanning process.
The checking introduced in v.1.2.14 was however too strict when there are files in the source folder/subfolders for which the
LastTimeWritten/Modified attribute is missing. It caused the scanning process to stop with an error "Not a valid Win32 FileTime".
This has been corrected and files which don't carry this date attribute are not flagged anymore as having an error.
- You can re-order the tasks/jobs in the Tasks List using drag and drop.
- When running a task the app now displays every 0.5s the name of the file which at that moment is being copied. This offers improved visual feedback that the app is still busy doing its things when a lot of files have to be copied and/or writing to the target drive is relatively slow.
It is now possible to select a OneDrive folder that is not mounted in Windows as target folder for a Sync or Backup job.
The task configuration page now contains a dropdown options menu where you can define the type of target location:
- An internal, external or network drive. Select this if the folder is on an internal, an external (typically USB), or a network disk. This is also the option to select when you target a OneDrive folder that is mounted by the OneDrive service in Windows.
- A mobile device (smartphone, tablet, ..) that is using the MTP protocol.
- A OneDrive folder that is not mounted in Windows. You will be prompted to enter your OneDrive credentials the first time you select the folder.
- It is now easier to copy the SyncFolder tasks settings to another computer. The Settings page now has a Import and Export button to accomplish this. When clicking Export you will be prompted to select a location (e.g. a USB flash drive) where you wan't to save the repository file of the app. On the new/other computer click Import an select the saved repository file.
The 'Advanced' task settings have been moved to the bottom of the task Configuration page. You can now configure the following
- You can specify now on a per task basis whether the app must re-scan the target drive each time a task is executing. Previously this setting was global for all tasks.
- You can specify whether empty source folders have to be copied to the target. Previously this setting was also global for all tasks.
- You can indicate whether SyncFolder should skip copying of source files when the name and size of the file was unchanged. The default method is to look at the name, the size and the modified (last time written) date and time of the file.
- You can specify for which files the app should keep a history by saving the 10 most recent versions of those files.
- An error has been corrected which resulted in a wrong folder being configured for a network drive in case the folder was selected using a full network share name, like: \\server\share\user\john\documents.
- Some minor bug fixes have been implemented.
- This version is only released to a limited group of users. It was released as a test version for v.1.2.14.
- The "Filter" dialog for the source location now allows you to make use of wildcards (*) to specify which source folders have to be excluded. The same is no also possible to exclude source files. In earlier versions one could only excluded files based on the file extension type. You can now specify both file types and file names and you can use wildcards (*) to define a group of types/names.
- The "Advanced' dialog for the source location has been enhanced to define a 'history' service for files not only based on the file type but also on the file name. You can also use wildcards (*) to define a group of types/names.
- The "Execute All" option in the tasks view has been replaced by "Execute selected tasks". The user can now select which tasks have to be executed. As before, the selected tasks are executed one after the other.
- An error has been corrected which resulted in an exception crash when the user configures a network drive with a username and password and the drive is not defined through a drive letter (like Z:\) but using the share name (like \\mynas\documents).
- An option has been added in the source Filters view to configure the app to not copy any file that is located in the source location's root. The default (as it was in earlier versions) is to copy those files.
- If during execution of a task the app detects that one or more folders were inaccessible, but no other errors came up, the app will now show this as 'success but some folders were unauthorized'.
- Some minor bug fixes.
- The app now shows a warning message the first time you configure a 1-way sync job and the target location is not empty. This is to warn the user that the files and folders on the target are likely to be deleted when the task has executed.
- There was an 'access denied' error when the target location contains a hidden System Volume Information folder which resulted in the task not being executed. This has now been corrected. The System Volume Information folder will be ignored in the destination scan step and will stay on the drive with a 1-way sync task.
- The app will not terminate a task anymore when the source contains one or more folders which the currently logged on user is not allowed to access. Execution proceeds and the unaccessible folders will be listed in the results under the Actions tab on the task status page.
- Minor bug fixes.
- An error has been corrected which made the app unresponsive and react with a fault when importing a large amount of photos and videos from a mobile device.
- Prior to the new version the prompt to start the execution of a job as a result of inserting a USB device only worked when the job was also configured to make use of an automatic execution schedule. This is now corrected. Prompt for execution after device insertion now works for both scheduled and unscheduled jobs.
- There was an error in previous versions which made it possible to configure "Create same subfolder" when the source was set to the root of the drive (D:, E:, etc). This caused various copy errors. It is now corrected.
- [New] Support for MTP devices - The app now allows you to configure a mobile device that supports MTP as destination location for any type of task.
- [New] Cut and Move task - You can now configure a task to move the content of a source location to a destination location and cut/delete the source content when successfully copied.
- [New] Allow wildcards in excluded folder name - You can list the excluded folder names in the Filter dialog now by either specifying the full name of the folder or a pattern using wildcards; like: lib*, *version*, etc.
- Error corrected which prevented that file copy errors were reported.
- [New] French - The app now also supports French as language. Currently supported languages are: English, German, French, and Dutch. Spanish is expected to become available in the next version.
- [New] Automatic task execution with 15, 30, 60 and 120 minutes intervals - You can now configure a task to run every day at 15, 30, 60 and 120 minutes intervals.
- [New] Execute all tasks - A button has been added in the Tasks page to trigger the execution of all configured tasks (except the photos import task).
- Error corrected which inserted an extra backslash in the network drive path when the location was entered using the "\\server\share" option in the Windows folder selection popup. The task then always indicated an error during execution.
- [New] Network drive mapping - The app now tries to find the computer/share name of a source/destination folder on a network drive when the location is defined by means of a mapped drive letter; i.e. it will try to convert network station "Z:" which is connected as network share "Z:\Music" to "\\192.168.0.111\Music".
- [New] Network share access credentials - When defining a network folder as source or target the user now also has the option to explicitly configure the access credentials (username, password) and test the connection.
- [New] Stop task - You can now stop the execution of a task in progress.
- [New] Renamed files and folders - SyncFolder will now update folder/file names of which the capitalization has changed. In previous versions a change of a folder/file name at the source, like "myfolder" renamed to "MyFolder", was not passed on to the target; i.e. the folder on the target stayed "myfolder".
- [New] Dark mode - The app now fully supports light or dark mode when configured in the Windows 10 Settings app.
- [New] Language - You can now select a different language in case the default configured language would not be OK for you. Note however that currently only English, German and Dutch are supported. If you are not able to select one of those then you must first add the required language in the Windows Settings app (in the section Region and Language).
- An error has been corrected where, in a sync/mirroring task, a change in the capitalization of a source folder/subfolder name resulted in removal of that folder on the target.
- In previous versions the user could not assign a source and target location of which the name both started with the same name; like: "example" as source location and "example-first" as destination location. This has been corrected.
- The error is corrected which prevented that the app (in version 1.1.15) is opened when the user clicks on the app's notification popup or a notification in the windows 10 action center.
- Photos import functionality is improved.
[New] Long pathnames - SyncFolder now supports long path names. You don't have to configure anything in Windows to
allow SyncFolder to deal with this. If you want to have support for long pathnames in other Windows applications (such as
File Explorer, cmd, ..) you must opt-in for Long Paths by setting the Windows registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled (Type: REG_DWORD)to 1.
- [New] Logging - The logging service (to be enabled in Settings) has been extended to also log diagnostic events when a device is connecting to SyncFolder using WiFi (i.e. in order to copy photos and videos).
- [New] Task simulation - It is now also possible to run a job in Simulated mode. When selecting this Syncfolder will do everything what it does in a normal run except that it will not physically copy or delete anything.
[New] System files and folders - You can now explicitly indicate in the Filters dialog that
System files and folders should not be copied. In earlier versions of the app System files and folders were
never copied. This changes now
in such a way that the default is to copy all system files and folders with the exception of the files
pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys and hiberfil.sys, and the root folders
$recycle.bin, $windows.~bt, $windows.~wst, config.msi, documents and setting, onedrivetemp, program files, program files (x86), programdata, recovery, and system volume information.
- [New] Actions report - The Results section in the Status view of a job now also shows an overview of the actions that were done while a job was running. You can see these actions when you select the Actions tab. Selecting the Faults tab reveals all faults encountered.
- A fault has been corrected which caused a backup/sync task to fail when the source location contains files which are bigger than 4GB. The task runs successfully the first time but then keeps on failing unless the 'Rescan destination' option was set in Settings.
- Improved stability and robustness in various areas.
- [New] Logging - Possibility added to enable Event logs for diagnostics and troubleshooting. You can enable logging in the Settings page. After working with the app you can then forward the log files to SyncFolder support. See the FAQ page for more information.
- [New] Clear result - You can now in the Show Status page reset the 'Backup Result Status' of a task. When reset the status of the task goes to 'Job is not executed yet'.
- [Modified] - The Photos and Videos import job is not automatically created anymore when you install the app. It is however needed when you want to import photos and videos using USB, memory cards, or WiFi (with the companion app on Android and iOS). The app will prompt you to create the job when you are about to import / connect.
- Improved stability and robustness in various areas.
- No new functions have been added in this version.
- [New] - When you modify task data in the task editor the data will be immediately saved when you press the Save button or leave the page and confirm Save.
- The QR code that can be used to connect with the SyncFolder Photos app is now again available.
- The new version only contains bug fixes.
- The new version only contains bug fixes.
- [New] - An option has been added to indicate that SyncFolder must create a subfolder on the target station with the same name as the source folder if it doesn't already exist. The option is the default for all new tasks you create. With this the user musn't create the folder upfront.
- The possibility to give feedback in Settings has been removed. It turns out that this service is currently not 100% reliable in a number of Windows 10 systems.
- Some minor changes have been done to improve robustness when copying files and provide better fault reporting in the logfile (e.g. stacktraces).
- [New] - Possibility added to specify that for certain type of files a history must be kept. This might be important in order to be able to restore a previous version of a file. It is not the intention to make this a full-blown backup with history feature. Only the 10 most recent versions are kept and only for files for which a specific extension is defined.
[New] - Added the possibility to scan a QR code in order set up a secure WiFi connection when
importing photos and videos via WiFi.
This method can be used when the WiFi network doesn't support multicast and/or broadcast for discovering computers in the network.
- [New] - Added support to upload photos and videos from a mobile device using a WiFi connection. To make use of this new feature you must install the compagnion SyncFolder Photos app on your smartphone or tablet.
Starting with this version the number of user notifications that happen as a result of repeated backup errors, is reduced
to only 1 (the first time the error occurs).
You will however get a notification every 14 days when a backup keeps on failing.
- [New] - Added language support for German.
- The previous version closes the app when the Settings button was pressed on the main page. This has now been corrected.
- There were some issues with certain devices when selecting an external storage station (USB disk, ..) as source or target backup medium. This should now be corrected.
- [New] - Option added to start backup immediately when an external USB drive is plugged in. Upon detection of the drive, the user is asked whether the backup should start or not.
- Fault corrected where the app crashes on some devices after a USB drive is selected as source or destination in a job.
- Previous versions gave an "unauthorized" error when the "Documents" folder was set as the source. No account was taken with hidden folders that are set as so-called "Junction Points". This has now been corrected.